For Quackcast 139 Banes and I were joined by Kawaiidaigakusei
who had an amazingly interesting subject to talk about:“Telling Someone's Sex By the Way They Draw”
, based partially on this old thread from the forums: http://www.theduckwebcomics.com/forum/topic/161694/
This has been a subject matter that is of great interest to me since college, and I am sure a lot of people who draw webcomics can relate.
The early periods of Western Art have been mostly dominated by men. Female artists were rare during the Baroque Period with the exception of a key figure, Artemisia Gentileschi, whose dark interpretation of Judith Beheading Holofernes can be read with psychoanalytic overtones of a woman asserting her dominance over a man by decapitation. The twentieth century welcomed an influx of women artists during the Feminist art movement that began in the late 1960s. In the present day, with the introduction of webcomics and the Internet, women and men now have a level playing field to showcase their art to the public. Now the question remains–Is it possible to tell a person's sex by the way they draw?Key ideas:
- How can you tell the sex and/or age of an artist at a glance?
- Do females draw the human figure with more organic curves, whereas males tend to draw more angular?
- Can a woman draw female figures better than a man, and vice versa?
- Are webcomics (still) dominated by males? Has there been a shift in the comic industry in the last ten years?
- Does sexuality come into play or is it irrelevant to the art style?
Check out Kawaiidaigakusei's
Tantz Aerine, Pit Face and Banes join Ozoneocean for the Drunkcast! The theme of this week's Quackcast was four webcomicers getting drunk and chatting drunkenly about drinking, as a homage to our site's proud former moniker: Drunk Duck. Tantz even Quackcasted from a bar in Athens (Greece), called “Comics”, so it was extremely appropriate! We apologise for the rambling and any off-colour dialogue, but we've kept it for authenticity's sake. It was a rather long chat too so we've had to spread it across two quackcasts. Please enjoy part one of The Drunkcast!Topics and Show Notes:Featured comic:
Vegetables for Dessert - http://www.theduckwebcomics.com/Vegetables_for_Dessert/Tantz titbits:
Former Greek Prime Minister George Papandreou doing the cancan:
Greek lady seduction dance-
Greek gentleman Seduction dance-
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZbwH89PQbETantz Link:
- http://www.theduckwebcomics.com/Without_Moonlight/Pitface Link:
- http://theduckwebcomics.com/PUTRID_MEAT/Pit Face AND Tantz link: